Community Workshop Notice:
150 Years of Service
2022 marks the 150th year the West Sand Lake Volunteer Fire Department has been serving the town. The West Sand Lake Volunteer Fire Company #1 was the 3rd rural volunteer fire company to be organized in Rensselaer County and the 1st in the Town of Sand Lake.
Mill owner, John McLaren, spearheaded the organization of the fire company as a way to protect the local mills. In the 1870’s the members protected the mills and homes in the village with “bucket brigades” until they raised enough funds to purchase their first apparatus, “Old Joe”, in April of 1876. “Old Joe” is currently displayed in the museum portion of our fire hall.
The West Sand Lake Fire Department currently protects over 10 square miles of rural and suburban Rensselaer County including over 5000 residents. We have approximately 40 active fire fighters, and respond to over 350 alarms each year.